Stay safe while out on a run
Post Date:08/11/2017 10:32 a.m.
Return to full list >>
Staying safe while out on a run
It's easy to get into an exercise routine and zone out during your workout. Pflugerville Police Department encourages all athletes to take some extra precautions to be safe when out exercising on trails and sidewalks.
- If wearing headphones, play your music at a volume that allows you to hear what’s happening around you, or only wear one headphone bud in your ear. If your vision of what is going on around you is impaired by darkness, you may want to forgo music altogether.
- If walking or running at night or on a secluded trail or sidewalk, consider going with a group.
- Keep your cell phone with you at all times in case you need to contact authorities to report suspicious activity or sustain an injury and are unable to walk back to your home or vehicle.
- Always tell at least one person where and when you are running or walking.
- Consider changing up your daily exercise routine by switching the direction of your route or alternating start times every few days.